Defense Mechanisms As Described By Freud

Defense Mechanisms consists of those techniques which are used by our Ego to protect us from anxiety, and to keep us psychologically healthy. As already mentioned, the job of Ego is to meet the demands of Id and Super Ego. But sometime, it is not possible for Ego to keep them both happy. If he keeps one happy the other will become angry and vice versa. To resolve this problem, Ego searches for an alternative solution. But, if it fails in finding a real solution, it will resorts to a false solution of the problem, because it does not want to bring the issue into the notice of our conscious. So it deceives our conscious and pretends that nothing has happened. In fact, Ego plays this illegal role for the sake of our psychological health. Hence we should thank our Ego. Following are some of the defense mechanisms which are used by our Ego.

Rationalization:

Rationalization is a technique which we use when we confront with failure in doing/achieving something. For example if I fails a screening test for a job. And someone ask me, “Why did you fail in the test? My possible answer would be that the questions were irrelevant. But it may not be true, because most of the candidates have passed in the same test. In fact, I am rationalizing my bad performance in the test by making false excuses. So I put all the responsibility on the shoulder of the examiner, just to prove myself innocent, and to protect myself from the resultant anxiety.

Projection:

This defense mechanism takes place when we think that other people have the same feelings as ours. In other words, we are projecting our undesirable feelings onto others. For example if I think that people hate me, while in fact, I hate myself. Similarly, if I say that a certain friend of mine is jealous of me, while in fact, I am jealous of him. Then, I am projecting my undesirable feelings onto my friend. This technique protects us from the feelings of guilt, thereby relieve our anxiety.

Sublimation:

Sublimation is a process of converting your unpleasant feeling into something creative or positive. For example when you are angry with someone, you may do vigorous exercise.  In fact, you are redirecting your anger towards positive activity, doing exercise. Sublimation sometimes, results in creative activities like poetry, painting and composing etc.  

Reaction Formation:

Reaction Formation takes place when we begin to react against our objectionable desires. For example if I have strong desire for alcohol but I think that it is not good for my health, so I begin to hate alcohol. Put simply, when we do just opposite of what we want to do, then we are using the Reaction Formation Mechanism.

Displacement:

Displacement is a technique through which we redirect our feelings from the target person or thing towards another person or thing.  For example when you are frustrated by your boss, you may go home and kick your pet dog, or bit your family member etc. In displacement we divert our feelings from the target to the substitute.

Denial:

When we are not ready to accept the ground reality about something undesirable, we are using the denial mechanism. For example if I am smoking addict and I know that smoking is injurious for heath, but I don’t accept this fact. Then I am using denial mechanism. In fact, I am deceiving my conscious. I do this because I want to safeguard myself against the feelings of guilt and shame.

Regression:

Regression means going back to an earlier or less mature position. This happens when you are under severe stress or pressure. For example when you are hurt or frightened you may cry or scream loudly. Similarly when you are under severe stress you may frown, suck your thumb, bite your finger’s nail, pout your lower lip etc.

The psychoanalytic theory is a pioneer of modern personality theories. Since it is based on the case studies of Freud’s patients, not on empirical evidences, therefore many theorists have criticized it on the grounds that its validity can’t be measured through modern scientific tools. Another criticism on this theory came from feminists who are of the view that this theory is male oriented.